[Orion] Re: Jupiter vs ORION

Allan Henry Kaplan w1ael at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 8 00:32:58 EST 2004

Dick, N5XRD wrote,
"What I am wondering is what practical difference is there
> between the two for a non-contester ham with a small station,
> considering the difference in price.  Incidentally, is there any
> difference between RX on the Jupiter and on the Sub-receiver on the
> Orion??"

Jupiter performance will satisfy the 90+ percent of hams who rarely
compete in contests.
It is a very good value for a non-contester ham with a small station.
People buy ORION radios for two reasons, either:
(A)	They need a contest-grade radio, or
(B)	They want the newest and best transceiver that Ten-Tec makes.

The ORION Subreceiver is fairly similar to Jupiter, as far as RF
performance is concerned, but the ORION Subreceiver has a more advanced
DSP, and ORION has a very versatile antenna switch that makes two
xmit/rcv antennas and one receive only antenna available to its
receivers.  Hope this helps.   73, Allan, W1AEL (Ten-Tec retiree).