[Orion] AGC Threshold

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Sat Nov 6 12:34:26 EST 2004

I've been reading all the past threads on the Ten Tec list regarding
adjusting AGC and am still at a loss about one thing (well, one that I
know about).

If the Threshold setting determines the point at which AGC action
begins to attenuate the signal, then why does the noise level go down
when the Threshold is made higher.  I guess I have this image of
signals below the Threshold level as not being reduced in strength by
AGC action.  So, it seems that to turn AGC off would result in a
maximum Threshold, (>191 uv) not .37uv as the menu reads.

Can someone explain this to me in two syllable words cuz I'm just not
getting it.

tnx, Gary W7TEA