[Orion] Orion I - problem with tuning AM with VFO B

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 18:32:18 EST 2005

> I like to listen to SW stations.  I have been trying to tune
> them with the sub VFO and can't seem to do it consistently.
> For instance, for a local station KRLD (Dallas) at 1080 I
> push VFOB Enter then enter 1 followed by . and then enter 08
> and VFOB Enter.  the number seems to come up but the station
> doesn't seem to and can't get anything.  Sometimes I can do
> it and I think I am doing the same thing later but no luck.
> VFO B is in AM mode.  Is this a bug - or am I having operator
> error. or something???

I used to listen to AM broadcast all the time on the Orion, including KRLD,
and never had the problem you describe.  Are you sure you have an active
antenna selected to the subreceiver when it doesn't seem to work?  I thought
it wasn't working just a minute ago on my new O-II, and then remembered I
did not have an antenna selected to the SUB.

There is an issue with tuning STEP size with all 1.xxx firmware/DSP versions
-- the sub-receiver will actually only tune on 5 Khz boundaries in AM for
any smaller specified step size.  That doesn't sound like what might be
causing your problem, though.  It's also been fixed in the 2.025/2.02b6
code.

Grant/NQ5T