[Orion] Orion Transmitted Audio Question

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Sun Jan 2 00:49:34 EST 2005

I have successfully used the Studio One and Heil HM-10 mike with the
Orion.  However, I recently got a bad audio report with the HM-10
despite the fact that the signal looked clean on my scope.  As a result,
I started carefully listening to my audio on a second receiver, and
there does seem to be some kind of low level oscillation and other noise
with the HM-10.  But I also noticed with both mikes that there is some
kind of AGC action or compression going on.  (BTW, the speech processor
is off.)

For instance, when using the Studio One, the audio sounds OK as long as
I'm speaking, but if I pause for a short time the background noise
slowly increases to a level that is quite noticeable.  With the HM-10,
the background noise increases until I hear the oscillation and other
crud.  It's as if I were using processing.  I haven't received any bad
audio reports with the Studio One, but I wonder if this compression
effect is normal or is there something haywire with my setup?

I'd appreciate hearing whether or not others are experiencing this same
behavior.

73, Joe