[Orion] Orion subreceiver

Jim McDonald jim at n7us.net
Tue Jan 4 22:15:27 EST 2005

I understand that the Orion's subreceiver is general coverage and is not
nearly the receiver that the main receiver is for the ham bands.  What's the
practical significance of the poorer subreceiver?

Now for the more technical question from an accountant:   Comparing an Orion
with its +24 dBm (at 5 kHz) 3OIMD with a radio with +40 dBm 3OIMD but only a
6 kHz roofing filter, say an IC-7800, or maybe one that also has a 3 kHz
roofing filter, say a new FTDX9000, would the Orion's narrower roofing
filters more than offset the poorer 3OIMD?  Being an accountant, I can
appreciate the cost difference of the Orion versus the other two.  (What's
the Icom jacket worth?)

Thanks.

Jim N7US