[Orion] New Orion II

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:02:33 EDT 2005

Obsolescence and pricing-

This happens with every computer or automobile you ever bought.  Why
should it be different with radios?  We should be happy that the
technology is moving forward, even if it's going to cost us if we want
to stay at the leading edge.

The new price is the downside of the high-end Icom & Yaesu products
coming in at $10K+.  TT feels able to up their pricing by ~$1K.  By
the way, this helps to protect the value of our Orion I's in the
resale market.

The quick read is that the O II's new features aren't so compelling to
many of us - a color display and an 8-pin mic connector?   Oh, and
enough horsepower (finally) to run the firmware reliably.  (Let's
hope.)  The RF/IF specs aren't likely to be very much better.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing at gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net