[Orion] MP vs. Orion: Correcting the record

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Tue Dec 12 14:31:12 EST 2006

Back a couple of months ago, I was involved in an exchange regarding
various firmware versions and the RX performance of the Orion vs my
FT-1000MP.  At the time, my MP was consistently demonstrating better
receive performance (S/N and general CW copyability) than the Orion, and
the differences were often dramatic.

In my last post on the issue, I commented that there were clearly
several known hardware problems with my Orion, but I didn't think that
they were related to the receive function.  I sent the Orion in for
repair and got it back several weeks ago.  Since that time I have made
numerous comparisons with the MP on 80 and 160M weak signals and the two
receivers are basically equivalent regarding S/N.  From the repair
invoice, it appears that there was a short to the logic board and I
assume that's where the problem resided.  Frankly, I had done similar
A/B comparisons with the MP several years ago when I first got the Orion
and found them to be equivalent in weak signal sensitivity.  I should
have remembered that.

I have since gone back to FW 1.373b5 and have been using it for about
two weeks now and it seems to be generally satisfactory.  I typically am
using 12-18 dB attenuation on all bands.

I am most appreciative for the suggestions and help regarding my
problems provided by several members of the list at the time.

73, Joe
K2XX