[Orion] O2 issues

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 12:41:41 EST 2006

> bottom line is that whatever the reason for its behavior, the
> NR was basically useless here.  (BTW, it seemed to get
> noticeably worse with firmware 1.372.)

I wish I could comment on how things changed in the various versions of
1.xxx firmware.  My Orion has been gone too long to have a good memory of
it.  It may be that NR behavior changed once Threshold was coupled with RF
gain (which happened somewhere late in the 1.xxx releases, I'd have to look
at the history page).

I did find in most cases that even though noise didn't necessarily vanish,
S/N ratio did improve, which is the whole point, more so than producing a
perfectly noise free channel.  Even with the distortion that sometimes
appears in the II, that is also the case -- provided you give the NR code
enough signal to work with.

Grant/NQ5T