[Orion] V2.059d Vs. v1.373b5 Noise Reduction Code

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Tue Sep 19 15:47:39 EDT 2006

Merle, thank you for that detailed description of the NR operation.  I
have never seen that on the reflector before (although I was off the TT
reflector for more than a year and only on the Orion list.).  I
certainly have never seen it in the manual.

 From your description and, apparently, Bill's additional input, it
seems that the NR functions more as a narrow bandpass filter than a
correlated Schotte noise attenuator.  In that case, it is doing what we
have been doing for years to increase the S/N ratio by narrowing the
selectivity.  Now I see what Hank and Bill we're talking about when they
said that it won't have much effect at very narrow selectivities.  The
original description in the manual made it seem like something
completely different.

At any rate, I'm going to give 1.373b5 an evaluation tonight.

73 and thanks,

Joe
K2XX

I work 90% CW here