[RFI] HF Interference from TV

Marty Tippin martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 15:24:37 GMT

My dad has an odd problem with interference on 17m apparently coming
from his television set - it took several months to figure out what
the cause was, becuase the TV is almost always on.

While the TV is on, he has about an S5 to S7 noise level (sounds like
a buzzsaw or something, worse at night then in the daytime) on 17m;
15m and 20m are both clear - drops to nothing when the TV is off.
Noise is present throughout entire 17m band.

Apparently is coming in through his HF antennas as there's no noise
when the antenna is unplugged.  Dad operates almost exclusively on 17m
so this is a real problem for him.

He lives in a rural area and has Primestar satellite and an
over-the-air TV antenna; he disconnected both of those from the
television but still the noise remains.  The TV is a 35" Sears model,
he says it was made by RCA for Sears and is about 5 years old.

My guess is that there's RF being generated from the TV into the house
wiring; he's checked all the plugs on that AC circuit and everything
is grounded properly.

Any suggestions as to how he might clean up this noise?  I suggested a
brute-force AC filter at the TV, but he may have a hard time coming up
with one of them because of where he lives.  Somehow I don't think
ferrites on the TV power cord are giong to do much.

Thanks for any help!  Replies via direct e-mail as well as the
reflector would be appreciated.

-Marty KI0LO
 martyt@pobox.com

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html