[RFI] TVI Help (Reid B.)

J. Bradshaw J. Bradshaw" <ac6tk@cybertime.net
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:08:02 -0800

> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:38:47 -0600
>From: bannonr@ccgate.dl.nec.com (Reid Bannon)
>Subject: [RFI] TVI Help

Reid,
First off, go over to the neighbor's house and have him show you the RFI
when he complains.  This takes care of a lot of problems from the start.
Often times I have found that the TV antenna system is in trouble and
signal strength is marginal.  A neighbor of mine on rabbit ears hated me
and put up with marginal reception for several months after I told him to
put up a real antenna, until he was able to convince his wife too.  We were
good friends after that.  He was putting up with poor TV reception because
his wife would rather suffer and bitch about the Ham next door.  Sometimes
cordless phone problems are nothing more than co-channel interference from
another neighbor.

The 4th harmonic from a 20m signal normally wouldn't be strong enough to
get from the tower to the ground with current technology, but check your
SWR and get out your binoculars and search for something amiss with yours
and his antenna and feed line.  Sometimes carbon tracking and corrosion can
generate harmonics from a clean sig.  A high pass filter on the TV will
only help if your clean sig is being turned into grunge in the TVs
front-end, but may hurt them on channel 2 if the signal is marginal to
begin with.

Your Kenwood HAS low pass filters built in.  Putting an outboard filter
AFTER the internal tuner can give you problems if you have a reactive or
mismatched load.  You would be better off bypassing the internal tuner to
an outboard filter and tuner if you really, really, really have a problem.

Good Luck,

Jim Bradshaw,  ac6tk@cybertime.net

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html