[RFI] Wall "transformers"

Wendell Wyly Wendell Wyly" <w5fl@flash.net
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:09:00 -0600

(A real 5 located near Weatherford Texas)
    -----Original Message-----
    From: kmarch <kmarch@ix.netcom.com>
    To: rfi@contesting.com <rfi@contesting.com>
    Date: Sunday, January 11, 1998 1:35 PM
    Subject: [RFI] Wall "transformers"
   =20
    Some really strong broad band noises have been polluting the low =
bands here.  I finally tracked it down to my neighbor, who has a couple =
of wall transformers powering various lights in his house.  It turns out =
the transformers are generating noise like crazy.  I suspect there are =
SCR devices inside, with no actual transformar at all.  They are rated =
at an output of 12 volts at 60 Watts, which is a lot more current than a =
typically sized wall transformer usually puts out.  Does anyone have any =
ideas or experience on how to cure this type of noise problem (short of =
building an actual fused transformer that handles the load)?  Also, will =
the FCC do anything about this kind of thing if the neighbor does not =
cooperate? Will the manufacture be required to do anything by the FCC?  =
Bob  N7UA

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01BD1EC4.6012A5A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>You will get no help from the fcc =
and very=20
little from the manufacturer.&nbsp; If I had the same problem and was on =
good=20
terms with the neighbor<FONT color=3D#000000>, I would offer to replace =
the device=20
with a ul rated wall mounted transformer (that is really a transformer) =
if the=20
output is ac, or a ul rated dc power supply if it is dc.&nbsp; Another =
option is=20
to buy him a similar, but higher quality lighting system and trade with=20
him.&nbsp; Pay an electrician to install it unless it will just plug =
in.&nbsp;=20
The cost is probably less than $100 and it will certainly make your life =
more=20
livable.&nbsp; I wish I could find the source of noise here and solve it =
for=20
just $100.&nbsp; Mine is more prevelent at night and maybe a lighting =
problem=20
also.&nbsp; </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT =
color=3D#000000></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT color=3D#000000>You might post =
another=20
message with a lot more details of how you found (located or isolated) =
the=20
problem and what kind of lighting system, including any brand, p/n, =
etc., that=20
might help some of the rest of us find a similar =
problem.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT=20
color=3D#000000></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Wendell Wyly&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =

W5FL&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:w5fl@flash.net">w5fl@flash.net</A><BR>(A real 5 located =
near=20
Weatherford Texas)</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>kmarch &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:kmarch@ix.netcom.com">kmarch@ix.netcom.com</A>&gt;<BR><B>T=
o:=20
    </B><A href=3D"mailto:rfi@contesting.com">rfi@contesting.com</A> =
&lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:rfi@contesting.com">rfi@contesting.com</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:=
=20
    </B>Sunday, January 11, 1998 1:35 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>[RFI] Wall=20
    &quot;transformers&quot;<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Some really strong broad band =
noises have=20
    been polluting the low bands here.&nbsp; I finally tracked it down =
to my=20
    neighbor, who has a couple of wall transformers powering various =
lights in=20
    his house.&nbsp; It turns out the transformers are generating noise =
like=20
    crazy.&nbsp; I suspect there are SCR devices inside, with no actual=20
    transformar at all.&nbsp; They are rated at an output of 12 volts at =
<U>60=20
    Watts</U>, which is a lot more current than a typically sized wall=20
    transformer usually puts out.&nbsp; Does anyone have any ideas or =
experience=20
    on how to cure this type of noise problem (short of building an =
actual fused=20
    transformer that handles the load)?&nbsp; Also, will the FCC do =
anything=20
    about this kind of thing if the neighbor does not cooperate? Will =
the=20
    manufacture be required to do anything by the FCC?&nbsp; Bob&nbsp;=20
    N7UA</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01BD1EC4.6012A5A0--

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html