[RFI] Radio Shack WX200 Weather Station

Wendell Wyly Wendell Wyly" <w5fl@flash.net
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 09:30:53 -0600

I have a Radio Shack Weather Station Model WX200.  I have been unable to RFI
it sufficiently to operate with my HF rig.  Worse problem is on 80 meters
although other bands occassionaly cause the same problem.  An indicated
windspeed of 125 mph each time you key the transmitter for a few seconds.

Radio Shack has only suggested filters on the leads to the unit.  I used
both large clamp on ferrites and split core large ferrites.  Some
improvement but it still does not work.  Radio Shack's only other suggestion
was to move the unit further away from the antenna, which is quite
impractical solution for a RACES station.  Also asked to talk to the design
engineer since I am an electrical engineer, only to learn that the design
engineer does not work for Radio Shack.  Any suggestions appreciated.

There are some other issues with the software such as it hangs your computer
up at midnight, doesn't change to new year properly, and takes 100% of
kernal processing capacity (when it only updates 10 calculation every 5
seconds).  I do not think these are RFI issues, however.

If anyone has a Weather Station that works well with HF radios, please let
me know the details.

Wendell Wyly     W5FL     w5fl@flash.net
(A real 5 located near Weatherford Texas)

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html