[RFI] NEED TVI HELP

Hare, Ed, W1RFI Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <ehare@arrl.org
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:38:00 -0500

>> Also, how do I get a copy of one of  those ARRL brochures to convince
neighbor that the problem could be
>>his own???

>I actually got a copy of the FCC interference bulletin (which is what
>I think you are referring to) from the local power company when I
>called in a power line RFI complaint. Your's might have some on
>hand as well. Else, check the FCC and/or ARRL Web pages.

The ARRL pamphlet and FCC Inteference Handbook are two different things.
 The  first is a 3-fold pamphet, designed to discuss intererence in
non-technical terms for the neighbor of a radio operator.  It is an
excellent place to start.  The ARRL "RFI Pamphlet" is available for an SASE
from the ARRL Technical Department Secretary, 225 Main St., Newington, CT
 06111.   The latest version of this pamphlet can be downloaded at
http://www.cemacity.org/gazette/files/whattodo.htm although the printed
version IS more effective with a neighbor.  The current printed copies are
the previous revision towhat you can download; ARRL recently completed a
joint publicaiton agreement of this pamphlet with the Consumer Electronics
Manufacturers Association (CEMA).

The FCC Intererence Handbook  will take over where the pamphlet leaves off.
 It says in pretty certain terms that most interference is  NOT the fault of
the transmitter.  "Many interference problems are the direct result of poor
equipment installation. . .  Thi sis not the fault of the transmitter and
little can be done to the transmitter to correct the problem."  Start at
http://www.fcc.gov/cib/Public_Notices/heee1.html and download the handbook
from there.

73 from ARRL HQ,
Ed Hare, W1RFI