[RFI] Noise Locator (sorta long)

EDWARDS, EDDIE J EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:29:01 -0600

	[Ed-K0iL]  Hi Larry,

	You probably won't find this stuff at the local instrument rental
place.  There's not much demand for it out there now that Television is
almost always on RG59 or RG6 instead of wireless.  And almost no one listens
to AM radio anymore, except Rush Limbaugh fans.  Power companies just don't
get many calls anymore on power line noise except from us pesky Hams!
Here's some info I've sent to this reflector in the past on locating power
line noise & the equipment needed:

"Tearing my hair out", Tom Hellem- K0SN wrote:
>Wondering if anybody has experience locating noise generated by power
>lines?
>The power company has been out here at least 5 times, and they claim they
>have checked out a 10 mile radius. As far as they are concerned, the case
is
>closed and they have refused to do anything further.

You've discovered another impact of the FCC's non-enforcement of
interference
rules, but this time it is us hams who are experiencing the interference.
So
now how do we determine which pole is causing your specific interference
problem?

Well, I'm no guru in this area, but I have gained some experience over the
last few years working in my Power Company's Communications Dept. where we
are
assigned the task of resolving RFI complaints.  The key is having the proper

equipment to conduct the search.  In some cases it takes more than one type
of
location device to complete the search correctly.  And it also takes an
experienced locator to determine the source of your interference among the
many sources he will find out there.   Hopefully your power company has
these
resources!  If not, gently suggest that they get them ASAP to solve your
problem.

First, the equipment.  A radio receiver(s) capable of multi-band operation
from HF & VHF thru UHF.  This can be two or three different radios if
needed.
Many companies use a locator on just one frequency (like 200MHz).  But to
properly track down the source, multi-band operation is a must.

Another device that can help determine which pole is the source and which
are
just re-radiating the RF noise is a ultrasonic probe.  UE Systems in
Elmsford,
NY sells one fitted with a parabolic dish concentrator (UWC-2000).  I have
used this unit at work, and was able not only to determine which pole was
the
source of noise but also determined from the base of the pole what piece of
hardware was the specific source! (e.g. squirrel guard)  BTW: This solved
the
noise problem near my ham shack ;^)   UE Systems' phone number is
800-223-1325.  (Std disclaimer: Not associated in any way.  Just a satisfied

customer).

Another interesting device I haven't used yet is a combination broadband
receiver, spectrum analyzer and storage scope made by Radar Engineers in
Portland, Oregon (503)256-3417).  What is interesting about this unit is the

storage scope function.  Its receiver is tunable from 1.8 - 1000 MHz.  The
operation is to hook it up to the customer's antenna and tune to the problem

frequency.  The waveform of the noise can then be viewed and saved in memory

for comparison while searching in the field for that specific noise.  It
comes
with a 10 element VHF/UHF log periodic antenna.  This sounds like the ideal
RFI locator to me!  I wish we had one. :^(

There are also a couple books to recommend to your utility if they don't
already have them.  I recommend them both to any ham who has a line noise
problem.  Both were written by hams who worked for utilities as RFI
Investigators.  The first one I recommend is *Interference Handbook* by
William R. Nelson, WA6FQG & edited by Bill Orr, W6SAI.  It sells in both CQ
magazine & ARRL bookstores.  This is the "Bible" of power line noise
location.
I've read it cover to cover and refer to it often.

Another one is *AC Power Interference Manual* by Marv Loftness, KB7KK.  Marv

is big on the Radar Engineers line of equipment.  As a matter of fact, they
even sell his book!  It is published by Percival Publishing in Tumwater, WA.
haven't made it through this book yet, but it looks pretty good.

One thing to remember: Ultrasonics can only be detected line of sight at
close
range.  That's how they work.  It will help to eliminate poles that are not
noisy.  But it will not identify the source of YOUR specific noisy pole
without an experienced investigator or additional equipment.  If you get
them
to start fixing noisy poles that are NOT causing your specific problem, they

may get tired of doing this before getting to your problem source.  It can
get
very frustrating!  Hang in there!

If your power company refuses to respond to any further requests, contact
your
state's public service commission (PSC) in writing concerning your problem
and
lack of response.  Sometimes just mentioning this to the utility will get
them
off their duff!  If they've sent the same technician out all five times,
then
they have not made an honest effort to solve the problem.  You can find info

on your state's PSC on the ARRL web I think under the Technical Information
	Services.

	You can also download some good stuff from ARRL from their
info-server [info@arrl.net] by sending a message with the following in the
body:

	SEND INDEX
	SEND RFI-ELEC
	QUIT

	The first will send you a message with the complete info-server
index (in 2 parts).   The second will send the electrical line noise info
(also 2 parts).

	Here's another one of my msgs that dealt with the same subject.
There's a little duplication.