[RFI] Need Help With RFI Problem with Neighbor

E. Hajjar E. Hajjar" <ejh3@erols.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:05:50 -0800

Hi Jon,
If you really want to know the full extent of the interference I would
suggest:
1. Run at the maximum power you use - I assume 1000W
2. On every ham band you use have someone transmit in the CW portion of the
band,
     and then  transmit in the SSB portion of the band. (Frequency used and
mode make a difference)
3. While a transmission is going on, and at your neighbors house use the
remote control
     and surf through every channel and record the interference level on
each channel. I would use
    3 interference levels: Severe - can't watch TV channel; Moderate - can
still watch the program but  quite
    annoying; Mild - it's obvious someone is transmitting but only someone
very petty would complain.
4. After you have done the first three steps you'll probably be surprised at
how few interference problems
    you notice. You can then lower the power to 100W and just check the
channels/bands where you
    noticed interference. This will give you a very good idea of the true
extent of the interference problem.
5. With a TA-33 you would want the beam pointed directly at the neighbors
house especially if they have
    an outside TV antenna. There is a 10DB difference between 100W and
1000W. Depending on the
    direction of the beam there can be a difference of 25DB over a 360
degree rotation.
6. If the neighbor is using an outside TV antenna then you would expect
interference to be on channels
    2,3,4,5,6. If the neighbor is using Cable TV and you notice interference
on every channel then the TV
    is being overloaded - but Cable TV signals are 100 times larger than a
regular TV signal. It is very
    difficult to 100% eliminate TVI when someone is using an outside TV
antenna.
7. I suspect it would take about 2 hours of testing to get a complete
picture of the interference problem.
    You could make a template with a list of all channels and then make a
copy of the template for
    each band. This way you'll have a separate sheet to record the
interference levels for each band.
    On some bands you'll probably notice no interference at all.
8. After that you can try filters, torroids and etc. to see if you can
eliminate the problem. The big concern
    is if you install anything and 6 months later the TV malfunctions you
can easily get blamed for
    breaking the TV. The neighbor could say the TV never worked quite right
after you put that filter on.
    When I was a teenager and everyone had an outside TV antenna I remember
noticing that one lead
    of 300 ohm twinlead was not connected to the back of a TV set of a
neighbor. I used a screwdriver
    and re-connected the wire and the TV picture then was nice and clear.
Many years later I learned
    that the neighbor's TV failed some time after that, I was blamed as a
kid who tried to be helpful but
    broke the TV in the process. The ARRL recommends that hams don't install
filters and etc. on
    a neighbor's equipment because it's so easy to get falsely blamed.

Jon, if you know the full extent of the interference problems then you'll
have options when operating in
a contest. I know most interference problems show up on 20 meters and 10
meters. I know most hams
just give their neighbor advice or perhaps a HighPass Filter but being a
good ham and a good neighbor
requires making a 2-3 hour effort to see if the problem can be solved or at
least reduced to a tolerable
level so that you can enjoy ham radio and your neighbor can watch their TV.

Good Luck and 73,
Ed - K1MMI