[RFI] Computer Speaker RFI

Blackburn Blackburn <blackburn@qnet.com>
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:10:48 -0700

Mark,

This is a very common problem.  The first thing to try is common-mode
chokes on the speaker wires.  Wrap a number of turns (whatever will fit
or whatever length of wire is available...more is better, within reaon)
through a ferrite core.  The split ones sold by MFJ & Radio Shack are
fine for applications like this and are easy to use.  You can also add
things like this without have to worry about violating someones
warrantee.

You'll need multiple turns to get enough inductance to have a
significant effect at HF, and you may have to experiment a little to
find the best location. With unamplified speakers I would try putting a
choke on the cable right where it comes out of the computer.

Good luck,

Keith KB6B

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html