[RFI] Artificial Ground

Wendell Wyly W5FL Wendell Wyly W5FL" <w5fl@flash.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:23:33 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C00707.72AD4F20

Artificial GroundI had pretty good luck with a second floor shack using the
shield from RG8 and running straight down to an 8 ft ground rod then buried
a couple of radials a few inches deep from the ground rod.  I used a sheet
of galvanized steel as a ground plane under my wooden desk top.  I had a
clean qth with 1 KW on all bands while living in a fringe TV area that was
so bad I had to have a low noise amplifier up in the mountains to get TV at
all.  Needless to say the antenna mounted amplifier had to have a high pass
filter between the antenna and the amplifier to remove the fundamental
overload.  It worked very well for 15 years in Jamul  CA. (near San Diego).
Buy the best Low Pass filter you can find and put it between the transceiver
and the amplifier and then put another one on the output of the amplifier.
Cable TV is normally pretty easy to live with if your signal is clean as
there is quite a bit of signal on the cable to work with.

Wendell  W5FL
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-rfi@contesting.com [mailto:owner-rfi@contesting.com]On Behalf
Of Brown, James E LRDOR
  Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 11:22 AM
  To: 'rfi@contesting.com'
  Subject: [RFI] Artificial Ground

  I wonder if anyone has had experience with using an MFJ 931 Artificial
Ground.

  My shack is on the 2nd floor, and I suspect my ground is not up to par.  I
do have problems with TVI, which I have not been able to cure.  And this is
with a cable TV system!  I have considered calling the Cable TV company and
asking them to fix it, but the problem may be with my setup, not with the
cable.

  I do not have "hot spots" in the shack.  I have a good radiated signal on
all bands.  I do have a problem on 10 and 80 meters with a RTTY contesting
program with refuses to function if I turn the power above 150 Watts (I dont
know if this would be related to grounding or not).

  Does the 931 have to be retuned everytime one changes bands?  Everytime
one changes frequencies within a band?

  Comments or suggestions appreciated.

  Thanks,

  Jim     W4LC

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C00707.72AD4F20

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Artificial Ground</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D990111603-16082000>I had=20
pretty good luck with a second floor shack using the shield from RG8 and =
running=20
straight down to an 8 ft ground rod then buried a couple of radials a =
few inches=20
deep from the ground rod.&nbsp; I used a sheet of galvanized steel as a =
ground=20
plane under my wooden desk top.&nbsp; I had a clean qth with 1 KW on all =
bands=20
while living in a fringe TV area that was so bad I had to have a low =
noise=20
amplifier up in the mountains to get TV at all.&nbsp; Needless to say =
the=20
antenna mounted amplifier had to have a high pass filter between the =
antenna and=20
the amplifier to remove the fundamental overload.&nbsp; It worked very =
well for=20
15 years in Jamul&nbsp; CA. (near San Diego).&nbsp; Buy the best Low =
Pass filter=20
you can find and put it between the transceiver and the amplifier and =
then put=20
another one on the output of the amplifier.&nbsp; Cable TV is normally =
pretty=20
easy to live with if your signal is clean as there is quite a bit of =
signal on=20
the cable to work with.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D990111603-16082000></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D990111603-16082000>Wendell&nbsp; W5FL</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV align=3Dleft class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
owner-rfi@contesting.com=20
  [mailto:owner-rfi@contesting.com]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Brown, James E=20
  LRDOR<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, August 07, 2000 11:22 AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  'rfi@contesting.com'<BR><B>Subject:</B> [RFI] Artificial=20
  Ground<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I wonder if anyone has had experience =
with using an=20
  MFJ 931 Artificial Ground.</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My shack is on the 2nd floor, and I =
suspect my=20
  ground is not up to par.&nbsp; I do have problems with TVI, which I =
have not=20
  been able to cure.&nbsp; And this is with a cable TV system!&nbsp; I =
have=20
  considered calling the Cable TV company and asking them to fix it, but =
the=20
  problem may be with my setup, not with the cable.</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I do not have "hot spots" in the =
shack.&nbsp; I=20
  have a good radiated signal on all bands.&nbsp; I do have a problem on =
10 and=20
  80 meters with a RTTY contesting program with refuses to function if I =
turn=20
  the power above 150 Watts (I dont know if this would be related to =
grounding=20
  or not).</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does the 931 have to be retuned =
everytime one=20
  changes bands?&nbsp; Everytime one changes frequencies within a =
band?</FONT>=20
  </P>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Comments or suggestions =
appreciated.</FONT>=20
</P><BR>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT> </P>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; W4LC</FONT> =

</P><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C00707.72AD4F20--

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/rfi