[RFI] BIG, HUGE RFI Problem

Bud Hippisley Bud Hippisley <k2kir@telenet.net>
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:42:26 -0500

At 07:55 AM 2000-02-10 -0700, k6ll@juno.com wrote:

>First try a battery-powered receiver, and pull your main breaker
>to make sure it's not in your own house.

Well, that's *almost* right.  I did something like that to find the source of a very strong and very broadband impulse noise that peaked around 2.69 MHz.  Killing the main breaker does not turn off my UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) for my telephone and fax machine, and as a result I spent a little time thinking the noise was coming from my neighbor.  Ultimately I stumbled on the fact that my TrippLite UPS was the source of all the racket.  And, of course, it just keeps on radiating after you kill the main breaker....

Good luck to all RFI chasers...

Bud, K2KIR

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html