[RFI] RFI-Reducing Sparkplug Wire Brands?

Marty Tippin Marty Tippin <martyt@pobox.com>
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:48:15 -0500

Wondering if anyone has experience with and a recommendation of a
particularly good brand of spark plug wires that reduce RFI for HF mobile
rigs?? The wires I got were the only brand carried by the local store and
claimed to reduce RFI but have been marginal - I know of various online
shops that have many brands. If you know of one that works well, let me
know please!

I'm running a Yeasu FT-100 in my Ford F-150 and have replaced the wires,
distributor cap, rotor and ignition coil - and the RFI is as bad as ever,
maybe even worse. Particularly on 17m; not as bad on other bands. There is
a very definite change in amplitude of the noise when I hit the accelerator
so I think it's safe to assume this is mostly ignition noise now. I
installed the Ford fuel pump RFI filter this weekend and it took out a
significant portion of the noise, leaving the ignition noise behind. I
still have a long way to go to get the system perfect but have done a lot
already, including grounding everything I can think of with heavy braid strap.

Thanks & 73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com

--