[RFI] 100baseT ethernet RFI

Richard Eckman Richard Eckman" <ko4mr@arrl.net
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:52:51 -0500

Two weeks ago, I posted a message concerning difficulties I was having with
a D-Link DI-704 broadband router/switch. The D-Link box was generating a
considerable amount of RFI at various frequencies throughout the 10-meter
band making reception difficult. The use of shielded cat 5 cables did not
help matters.

D-Link technical support was, as expected, not very helpful. They were only
able to tell me that the device did indeed meet FCC part 15 regulations.
That was as far as they were willing to help.

Thanks to several replies that I received, I decided to return the D-Link
box and order the Linksys BEFSR41 router. It arrived this afternoon and I've
found it to be extremely RF-quiet and equal to the D-Link unit in
performance. I noted only one small spur in the 10-meter band which was
barely audible. Otherwise, I haven't yet found any other RFI problems with
this unit. I would therefore recommend the Linksys box for those interested
in using a broadband router/switch in the ham shack.

73,

Rich Eckman  KO4MR
Hampton, VA

--