[RFI] Quiet Monitors

Pete Smith Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:55:29 -0500

I'm in the market for a new 15" monitor for my shack computer, and getting
one that is not susceptible to inward or outward RFI is a paramount
consideration.
I've reviewed archives of a lot of reflectors looking for info.  There seem
to be a lot of folks who have been pleased with NEC Multisync and Sony
Trinitron monitors in this respect, but all of the model numbers I have
seen discussed appear now to be obsolete (NEC 4FGE, XV15+, XE15, for
example).  Moreover, NEC and Mitsubishi appear to have merged their monitor
lines recently, further heightening the uncertainty.

I can and will bash around in a computer store trying to listen for birdies
and find a clean monitor empirically, as well as by looking for evidence of
better shielding, more care taken with ferrites on the video and power
cables, etc.  Before I did that, I thought I'd ask here whether anyone has
recently bought a current model 15" CRT (not LCD) monitor that they have
found to be clean for RFI?

Thanks in advance.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio