[RFI] Major RFI on Truck Stereo

David Jordan David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:23:38 -0400

Hi Folks,

Just installed the FT900 w/BB3 screwdriver antenna on the back of the
Ford Sport Trac.  No RFI to the engine CPU, electronic entry system,
gages (as Ford spells it on the dash and manual), etc.  But, the
Audiophile stereo woofer goes full volume when running 100 watts to the
antenna.

o The antenna has a ground strap to the frame rails.
o The antenna SWR is 1:1 at the feed point (no tuner being used).
o The FT900 is also grounded to the frame rail.

Does anyone remember the RFI engineer who worked at Ford Corp.?  I met
him once at a auto show.  I'd like to get in touch with him. I noted
with delight the ground straps that Ford has installed across the hood
hinges and firewall and from the frame rails to the sheet metal.  There
is a lot less work for me to do on this truck than the Isuzu Rodeo.

thanks,
dave
WA3GIN

--