[RFI] NuTone Intercom System

dgsvetan@collins.rockwell.com dgsvetan@collins.rockwell.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:03:12 -0500

Don and All,

The primary purpose of twisted pair wires in a balanced system is the
significant reduction of power line "hum" in the audio, just like the
telephone system.  Intercoms may not necessarily use the same 600 ohm
impedance as phone systems, but the principle is the same.  The use or
non-use of twisted pair is not significant for coupled RF, even though
induced or coupled RF is also a common mode problem.   (Depending upon
system grounding, the use of shielded twisted pair might offer some RFI
relief.  However, it sounds as if your lines are fully installed and if
operation is normal, other than the RFI, then the wiring is adequate for
intercom audio performance.)  Design of magnetic components and/or
electronics uses the balanced line concept well at audio frequencies.  (The
60 Hz "hum" is common mode and easily canceled.  The desired audio is
driven differentially across the pair.  Transformers or electronics pass
the differential audio and reject the hum.)  High level RF also appears as
common mode to the intercom, but at a much higher frequency.  It tends to
couple easily and "blow through" or around front end components and then
gets rectified ("detected") by one or more non-linear devices in the
system.

I agree with your assessment about paying a (seemingly) very high price for
a few dollars worth of components.  However, the story in so many places is
that RFI is such a relatively rare event, for the majority of consumer
devices, that bean counters do not want to carry even the slightest amount
of financial burden to prevent or reduce it.  Witness the ever-present
pressure on the FCC to not adopt European-style susceptibility requirements
for product testing and acceptance.  It would be interesting to know if
Nutone will provide any sort of warranty with their pricey filters;  if so,
that eases the pain a little bit.  I would suggest trying the ferrite beads
to see if they help.  Then, perhaps try Nutone's filter, especially if they
will offer a refund for failure to solve the problem.  Best wishes.

The group might enjoy this brief anecdote:  I work at Rockwell Collins in
Cedar Rapids, IA.  The Collins Club has Art's old call, W0CXX, and has two
on-site shacks.  Back in January, the club was running a KWM-2 "special
event" at one of the shacks, with the club's KWM-2 driving a 30L-1 linear.
Most of you probably realize that the 30L-1 was designed back when 1 kW was
the legal gallon.  By today's standards, it is not "full power", but
respectable for sure.  There is a "Brand X" commercial intercom box located
outside of the shack, down the hall a bit, probably about 40 to 50 feet
from the rig.  The antennas are another 50 feet over the other way and up
about 50 feet on a tower.  The shack is in an industrial high bay building
with steel and concrete panel roof and lots of partial shields.  So, there
is reasonable separation (and some dubious value shielding) between the RF
source (antenna and/or rig) and the intercom box.  I do not know the
routing of the intercom lines, but I believe they are run in metal conduit.
When I visited the shack during the special event, I heard the call and sig
report for a station being worked well before I entered the shack, as I had
to pass by the intercom.  Of course, "Donald Duck" was the operator, but no
doubt about the signal source!   I do not know if the intercom has been
worked upon for RFI reduction, but will report anything interesting if I
find an answer.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

---------------------- Forwarded by Dale G
Svetanoff/CedarRapids/Collins/Rockwell on 09/18/2000 01:27 PM