[RFI] Cable TV Interference

Hare,Ed, W1RFI w1rfi@arrl.org
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:48:54 -0500

Hello, Peter,

Good advice all.

I will add a couple of points. If a leak BELOW the FCC max limits causes
actual harmful interference to a radio service, the cable operator needs to
resolve the interference problem.  Merely hearing a leak in our bands,
though, if it is below the max, is not harmful interference.  Also, leakage
INTO the cable (ingress) is as much of a regulatory issue as leakage out --
the cable company is required to deliver a specific S/N ratio to their
customers and if ingress degrades that level, they have to correct it.

The ARRL RFI Task Group is pleased to have Ron Hranac, N0IVN, as one of its
members. Ron is a member of the Board of Directors of the Society of Cable
Telecommunications Engineers.  If a ham has a problem with a cable company
and feels that the cable operator is not willing to follow the rules, Ron
can contact the cable company, usually at the senior engineering level, and
explain to them why it is important that the cable company follow the rules.
Contact rfi@arrl.org with a Readers Digest version of the attempt to work
with the cable company and it will be forwarded to Ron.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
225 Main St