[RFI] Audio Interfacing to Sound Card and RFI

Peter D. Vouvounas wb3fsr@home.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:39:54 -0500

Jon,

Boy this sounds familiar!!!!

This weekend was the first time that I tracked the same type of issue....
Yes I've operated before with WriteLog and found some RFI / audio issues but
it was in the heat of battle.  This time I tried out rig/amp/antennas/sound
card/Writelog, all just before the contest to see what worked and what did
not.

40 meters all clean (antenna Carolina Windom & dipole)
20 meters no go - had to remove the audio-in towards the Kenwood 950 real
bad (5 band HEX beam)
15 meters mostly clean (I could hear a little raspy noise on the audio but
was able to operate)(5 band Hex beam)
10 meters all clean (5 band Hex beam)

The interface is via 1:1 radio snack xformers connected to the phone patch
in & out of the Kenwood 950
Some news of recent suggests that a better match may be had using 8 Ohm x
1KOhm xformers instead (maybe 950 specific)

Voice Audio into computer via standard el cheapo computer headset boom mic.
Reports on the air with the exception of 20M was the best computer audio
integration heard.  This was mentioned by a number of other hams to my
surprise.

The Mic has two split radio snack ferrite cores wrapped with about 20
turns - 12 turns on one and 8 turns on the other - it may be better to wrap
them together, haven't tried that yet

I did not have to remove the receive audio out cable from the Kenwood going
towards the computer when on 20 just the opposite audio.

I was curious if a counter poise/artificial ground connected to the computer
case may be of some help????

If you receive any responses off-line please share them.

Regards,

PeterV [REN] WB3FSR
Peter D. Vouvounas	Ofc: 732-701-1130
McLeod USA			Cell:732-674-4001