[RFI] RFI LOG Electrical - Living by the Ocean

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards@oppd.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:05:41 -0500

Peter,

You've made a good start on your noise problem, and keeping a log is a real
good idea.  It will help if you need to turn up the heat on GPU to light a
fire under them.  If you come to a stand still with them, contact one of the
ARRL's RFI guys for assistance (you are an ARRL member aren't you?)

That said, make sure that when you find a noisy pole somewhere that it is
actually affecting you, i.e. your reception.  The last thing you want to do
is have GPU line techs fix dirty poles that don't and won't help you.  It
will seem like unnecessary busy-work to them and after a while they'll
figure they can't make you happy no matter what they fix.  Then it's tougher
to get them to respond the next time and the next, and so on...

The question is HOW do you tell if it's affecting you and your reception
without having them fix it to see?  Yes, this is tricky.  One way would be
to find a memory spectrum scope that can store images long term and recall
them as needed.  Then hook this up to the affected antenna system and store
the noise's pattern.  Then when you find a noisy pole compare the patterns
to see if they're similar.  If so, you've found your problem pole.  If the
spectrum pattern doesn't match at all, you've found a local noise that
probably doesn't affect you, but note it anyway for future reference.

Another thing to try w/o a spectrum scope is to determine the propagation
path of the noise from the source to your antenna or house.  Is it direct
radiation or conduction?  If it's direct radiation, the pole will be within
line-of-sight of your antenna.  But conducted noise could be miles away and
could involve inductive coupling from one line to another.  This is very
difficult to sort out at times.  But remember this: power lines are
"transmission line" just like the coax or ladder line going to your antenna!
It will have standing waves all along the line with peaks & nulls.  So if
you find a noise at some distance from your antenna (not line-of-sight), try
to trace the standing waves on the line to see if it will end up at your
house (ham shack).

Another thing to help determine if you've actually found the noise "source"
and not just another Standing Wave peak is this: The closer to the source
you actually are, the higher in frequency you'll be able to rcv it.  If your
standing within 10-20' of the source pole, you will get noise at 220 &
probably 440Mhz as well, and as you move away from the source, you'll first
loose noise on the higher VHF freqs forcing you to listen to lower & lower
frequencies to hear it.  Searching for line noise on only AM BC freqs
(550-1700khz) is like trying to find the north star in the sky during high
noon daylight with the naked eye!  It's real tough.  You need to use higher
& higher freqs to trace line noise to it's actual source.

These are some tricks of the trade.  I'm curious what department and what
type of personnel are handling RFI calls for GPU?  It should be techs in
their Telecomm dept since they'll understand RF and RF direction finding (if
they're worth a damn!).  A line technician will not.  Thus he'll not be able
to DF the noise and locate the actual source.  They'll spin their wheels
fixing a lot of things that may not help or need to be fixed.  What a waste!
GPU is big enough that they ought to have a large Telecomm dept with 2-way
radio guys who can actually DF the real source(s).

Another thing.  The comment by the tech that the ultrasonic (or UT) "method
only works for some types of arching" is not accurate.  It will pick up ALL
arching that is within "line-of-sight" and within the range of the
instrument.  It is picking up very weak ultrasonic sound waves, but it
cannot be blocked by anything.  I used one to determine that a squirrel
guard on top of a xfmr was arching.  Whenever I pointed it at the pole with
the squirrel guard visible I heard the noise, but with the xfmr blocking my
view I heard nothing.  The UT instrument can pick up a bird's wings flapping
overhead!!  They're very sensitive.  But the weak ultrasonic noise from an
arch can easily be blocked by a tree or hardware on the pole.  Hence your
tech "thinks" it only works on some arching.  What a dolt.  He's never
researched UT and probably never even read the manual.

I hope this gives you some more to go on and try out.

73,
de ed -K0iL
Omaha, NE