[RFI] Noise gone but don't know why

WA2BPE wa2bpe@infoblvd.net
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 00:30:30 -0400

Maybe you got "lucky"  - for the moment.  Sometimes they will clear themselves
but it usually doesn't last unless a hot tap welded itself shut. Problems are
almost always hardware related and with 7-15KV feeders and it is common to
dissappear when it rains only to come back with a vengence as things dry off.
It doesn't have to be the actual wires either, loose hardware - any hardware in
the electrical field, guy wires, etc. can be just as bad.  Cracked insulators
might not clear up when it rains - have seen both ways.  Corona problems
(usually a hiss/frying), on the other hand, are associated with much higher
voltage lines and typically gets worse in wet weather.

It is very curious that both(?) types of noise quit at the same time, and it's
hot and sunny?? - high humidity usually doesn't help that much.  Something
doesn't add up here - unless thermal expansion has temporarily closed a
microgap.  Watch carefully the next time a (real, not whimpy) cold front moves
thru.

Sorry, but I would hazard a guess that there is a 90% probability that it'll be
back!  Do your homework and keep a diary of time (sun/daylight sensitivity is
common), wx, frequencies bothered, pole numbers, etc. and pass the info to a
troubleshooter/engineer.  Unfortunately, most linemen (unless they have special
training or a *lot* of experience) are not usually familiar with RFI even if
they are good at what they do.  Engineers - some are, some aren't familiar -
helps a lot if you can get them interested and actually have them listen to the
problem.

If you don't have them, pick up both the ARRL RFI book and the book by Loftness
- one really needs both.

Good luck & keep us informed.

Tom - WA2BPE