[RFI] Ultrasonic detect. (was: Power line RFI situation)

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj@hotmail.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:24:00 +0000

Yes, it was the Ultraprobe 2000 made by UE Systems.  I finally found a
vendor with a price quote on the Web.  The hand held unit cost around
$4,500, and the parabolic clear acrylic dish by itself cost $1,750.
I told someone that for that kind of money I could afford to list my house
and move to the country!

Over the weekend I ran my transceiver off a car battery and flipped the
house main breaker to kill all the ac coming in.  The noise (I now have
identified a corona hash sometimes at 10 db over in addition to the pulse)
kept right on rolling in.  Now I can confidently go hunting and tell them
it's not my problem.

I think the ultrasonic receiver Ed mentioned is at that web site he gave but
under "acoustics - listening devices" and not "ultrasonics."
Under ultrasonics all I found were gadgets that make noise instead of
receiving it. See:  http://www.amazing1.com/accoustics.htm
Let's hope it works, but that HT someone mentioned that goes to 330 Mhz AM
is a good deal too!

Rob
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com