[RFI] Monitor interferes with transmit audio

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:02:29 +0000

Pete Smith wrote:

>It does seem as if some low-frequency RF from the monitor is getting
>into the DXD, but it's hard to see how.  The DXD's case is all steel
>and with no obvious gaps in the shielding.  Aside from throwing away
>the monitor (a noisy brute in the HF bands too) or moving the DXD
>(which would disrupt a good station layout), I'm stumped.

Sounds like magnetic pickup. Monitors put out very strong magnetic
fields.

The audio circuit is literally a circuit - a loop, including the ground
return path, and external magnetic fields will induce currents
proportional to the enclosed area of that loop.

Also, does the DXD include 1:1 audio transformers (intended to break
possible ground loops)? If so, even a small amount of flux leakage could
couple with the strong magnetic field from the monitor.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'