[RFI] 2002, Ford 4.6L V8 RFI, Need Help

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:55:58 -0700

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:47:14 -0400, Paul J. Pagano wrote:

>Ground strapping everything is my next step! I'm not sure how to go about
>grounding all the side panels and doors. The vehicle is leased and I can't
>drill any visible holes. Can anyone reference an established procedure for
>this strapping process?

If you choose not to drill the holes, ok, but I'm sure you could
get away with it and have no problems.  Just use a #4 or #6
self-tapping sheet metal screw.  When you turn the vehicle back
in, remove the grounding braid but reinstall the screw.  If
necessary, paint the screw head to match the surrounding area and
nobody will be the wiser.

For braid, my favorite is to remove the shield from RG-58 coax
and use it.  I prefer the tinned shield as opposed to bare
copper, but I suppose either one would work ok.

BTW, grounding things really does help.  Don't forget the exhaust
pipe - being hung on insulated hangers, it's a natural radiating
element.  There, instead of drilling a hole, I just sandpapered
down to bare metal and used a hose clamp to clamp the braid down.
Grounding the hood is important, too.

Bill, W7TI