[RFI] Nearby ham overload

Scoobee Doo phochief@hotmail.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:22:55 +0000

Another ham's station is about 1/4 mile from mine.  When I'm on 20mtrs and
he transmits SSB, my Icom 756pro is apparently overloaded and I get an S9+
hash from one end of the band to the other. Turning my tribander away from
him reduces the splatter a little but doesn't eliminate it.  I've contacted
him and we've worked out somewhat of an agreement regarding operating times
but I'd prefer another solution if possible since we both like operating at
the same times at night on the same band.

I'm hoping some of you contesting gurus out there can offer some advice.  I
just don't know if this is a problem with my 756pro's receiver, or if it's a
problem with his rig(FT-1000D and speech equalizer), or if it's just a fact
of life that can't be solved.  I love my 756pro, but I'd opt for a second
rig if there was one I could pick up with more IMD rejection.

He's a ragchewer who chats for several hours, while I'm a DXer who exchanges
signal reports.  Obviously this is affecting me more than him. hihi

What, if any, radios are you using on the same band with success?  Or other
tricks, suggestions?

Tnx for your input.
Allen