[RFI] Update on Toyota 4 Runner

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Sat Aug 2 11:02:10 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:39:17 -0500, "Mel Crichton" <kj9c at iquest.net>
wrote:

>adding any value of
>capacitor either before or after the choke only increases the noise... but
>it's still the worst of the 3 noise sources I found... any hints for the
>Toyota?

Depending on the circuit, adding a capacitor alone may just shift the
resonant frequency of the associated wiring.  Try adding a capacitor
with a small value resistor in series with it, about 50-100 ohms or
so.  The resistor will absorb the stray RFI much better than a
capacitor alone.  If you find it makes an improvement, temporarily
connect a potentiometer of the appropriate value and vary it while
someone listens for minimum noise.  When you find the "sweet spot",
replace the pot with a resistor of that value.

--
73, Bill W7TI