[RFI] Re: [TowerTalk] Comment on Radar Engineers Model 240

Alan Robinson robinsah at ne.orst.edu
Tue Aug 12 11:45:39 EDT 2003

Hi Jim, K4OJ,

I am sorry that I can not help you. I am in Oregon. You might consider
contacting Fred Horning of Radar Engineers and see if any utility in your area
has purchased these units. He may not say who his customers are, but he might be
able to ask them to contact you. You can get Radar Engineers number from their
Web page at http://www.radarengineers.com (503)-256-3417, and, no I do NOT work
for them. I just think they have great equipment.

Another excellent resource would be Mike Martin, K3RFI, at
http://www.rfiservices.com and, of course, the ARRL Web site.

Note to Tod, K0TO: I forgot to suggest that if you buy the Radar Engineers Model
240, you might consider requesting the optional log periodic antenna instead of
their standard log periodic. The optional antenna has a frequency range of 150
to 450 MHz. The standard antenna, which comes with the unit, covers 270 MHz to 1
GHz, if my memory is working. I find the lower frequency range to be a better
range for locating. You can use the low end, around 150 MHz, for hunting for the
most likely suspect pole, then use the high end, say 450 MHz, for verification
and getting the approximate source on the pole. Then the Model 250 Ultrasonic
for pinpointing the hardware (assuming you can get "line of sight" on the
hardware).

I believe that Radar Engineers will allow for the exchange at no cost, if you
request it at the time of your order. Naturally, I can NOT speak for them.

Well I guess this is long enough....   Good Luck to all of you hunting for noise
sources.

73s,

Alan, W4LKE