[RFI] BPL alternatives

WA2BPE wa2bpe at infoblvd.net
Fri Aug 15 16:00:38 EDT 2003

The problem with the power companies is that they want their big $$$ NOW rather
than invest on fiber (to the curb, at least for now).  Fiber will also have its own
problems as modems will still require some power to run (big deal, if the pwr is
down, so likely is your 'puter) but this is surely no worse than cable (where
available).  The beauty with fiber (and as long as the modems are built/installed
right) is that there is *ZERO* EMI - in or out of the *fiber*.  Satellite works
well (albeit some latency time) but right now the up front $$$ investment by a
customer is high - before the monthly charges.  Also, both satellite and the
wireless can be affected by wx conditions (icing, etc., depending on location),
terrain, foliage, etc..

And cell phones - ah, yes - was once again amazed at hearing an ABC (or was it
CBS?) reporter in NYC last nite express ignorance as to why the cell systems were
down.  Even here, where the power outage was spotty (I got lucky - literally lost
it completely for less than 5 min. + 30 min. or so of wild fluctuations), some cell
systems were down for hours.

Tom - WA2BPE