[RFI] BPL reply comments

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Aug 23 10:32:17 EDT 2003

I am not an expert on part 15 regulations, Rick, but it is
clearly stated in the text of the regulations that meeting
the absolute emission limits is not sufficient for compliance
if the device still causes "harmful interference". This does
leave a little wiggle room for the commission, because
the term "harmful interference" is somewhat subjective.

This is what part 15 says:

47 C.F.R. §15.15(c) "Parties responsible for equipment
compliance should note that the limits specified in this
Part will not prevent harmful interference under all
circumstances. Since the operators of Part 15 devices
are required to cease operation should harmful interference
occur to authorized users of the radio frequency
spectrum, the parties responsible for equipment
compliance are encouraged to employ the minimum
field strength necessary for communications, to provide
greater attenuation of unwanted emissions than required by
these regulations, and to advise the user as to how
to resolve harmful interference problems."

And the definition of "harmful interference" found in
part 15:

"Harmful interference. Any emission, radiation or
induction that endangers the functioning of a radio
navigation service or of other safety services or
seriously degrades, obstructs or repeatedly
interrupts a radiocommunications service operating
in accordance with this Chapter."

In any case, you interpretation is correct. The utility
can't hide behind absolute emission limits. On the
other hand, the commission seems to have some
discretion as to what level of interference is
considered harmful. The best thing to do would
be to ask Ed Hare or Mike Gruber at ARRL
as the have lots of experience working with the
FCC on these sorts of problems.