[RFI] A Switcher it was!!

Pat Thurman k7kr at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 11:40:21 EST 2003

I have recently been plagued with a very similar problem and just
discovered the source!  Here's the story...

Several weeks ago I started noticing a peculiar almost time related
broadband interference largely confined to 40m.  It sounded very much
like white noise and was S9 in strength.  Everywhere.  From below 5 mhz
to over 9 mhz.  Not sure but that the range is maybe just a reflection
of the bandpass filter characteristics of my radio.  After seeing Dan's
post I started listening more carefully to the noise and sure enough I
noticed a number of 'growlers' just like he posted.

In the course of hunting the noise, I had noticed that it seemed to come
on at what seemed to be almost a predetermined time.  Eventually, I
found that my son's clock radio was going off at about the same time.
A couple of times, I was able to get the noise to go away simply by
unplugging the clock radio so I began to think this was the source.
About this time, W6WRT posted that it sounded like a switching power
supply.  Armed with that, I continued looking.  I noticed that I could
get the pitch of the 'growlers' to change slightly when I would turn one
particular ceiling fan on and off.

To make a long story short, it turned out to be my wife's computer power
supply.  It seems almost like the particular circuit in the house was
acting somewhat like a tuned circuit.  A disturbance anywhere on the
circuit could trigger some sort of instability in the power supply and
make it start spewing this noise.

Since it's time to upgrade her computer anyway, I won't bother with just
swapping out the supply so she'll be happy!  And I won't be plagued with
any more noise for a while.

Life is good!!
--
73, Pat K7KR