[RFI] Two Meter TVI

Jon Ogden na9d-2@speakeasy.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:43:35 -0600

Hi gang,

Here's a new one.  My 2M sideband station is getting into my wife's TV.  My
2M beam is mounted on the roof almost directly above the TV.  My power out
is about 160 W.

When I key, the video signal wiggles back and forth on the screen.  We have
a Dish Network satellite system.

The problem is, I can't figure out where it's getting in.  The TV already
has an RFI choke on the power cord.  Yes, it's more of HF type ferrite, but
I would still think it would work somewhat on 2m.

I stayed up late last night and played around placing ferrites in various
places.  I disconnected everything but the TV and Satellite receiver.  I
tried using the RF output line of the satellite box and the video line each,
etc. etc.  Nothing I did really made much difference, except I did notice
that the interference seemed to be somewhat "position" dependent.  That
means, if I moved some of the rat's nest of wires in the TV cabinet (not
inside the TV) around that it would go away or get better.  But then you
would think I could find the offending cable and put a choke on it.  No
good.

So I am stumped.  I am beginning to believe that it's just the TV itself and
nothing I do to it will help.  I've just never heard of 2m affecting
televisions before!

Ideas anyone before I drop money to buy a new TV???

73,

Jon
NA9D