[RFI] Interesting Case of Interference

Tom Crothers k8ana at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 21 21:29:43 EST 2003

Hello All,

I live in suburban Columbus, OH and have been living with (what I thought up until yesterday) was power line noise on 20 Meters.  Yesterday, it was very loud so I started listening to it in earnest to try and make some sense out of it, direction wise, etc.

What I came to realize was that it is actually very raspy (intelligent) modulation; seemingly from a commercial broadcast station.  On CW mode (which is how I've listened to it until now) it sounds like RFI from power lines, but when I switched to AM mode, I could make out an old Carpenters song.

As it was playing, I searched the commercial AM/FM bands to see if I could hear the same thing being played.  Couldn't find it though, on either band.  I thought for sure it was just a local AM station splattering onto 20 Meters, but I sure couldn't find it anywhere in the three minutes or so that the song played.

As I write this note tonight, I can't hear it, but I've heard it at varying times of the day and night.  Yesterday, it seemed to be centered at 14.023 MHz, and went about 7 to 10 KHz on both sides, then down to almost nothing.  It was S-9 at its loudest though.  This was about 2:30 PM yesterday.

The announcer sounded professional, from the syllables I could make out at times, maybe catching a word here and there.  Still I couldn't catch enough context of what he was saying to trace it to anything.  It was pretty mumbled.  This leads me to believe that it's not a CB'er for example, (or whomever) screwing around, running too much power, and splattering onto 20 M.  It just sounded too professional.

Does anyone have any idea how I might pursue this interference, and find its cause ?  I'll supply any added information that I can.

Much appreciated.

Tom
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...