[RFI] RFI clip-on probe?

Wiley Sanders wsanders at wsanders.net
Mon Jan 27 09:49:28 EST 2003

Ian G3SEK wrote "Build or buy a clip-on RF current probe ..."

Sounds neat - how is the probe constructed? Do you make a loop around the
conductor, similar to the high-amp AC ammeters except with a loop or two of wire?

I have an ANC-4, one of those thingys that amplifies noise and reverses the
phase to null it out. This loop concept is one I have tried by connecting the
"noise sense" antenna by wrapping the 2 meters or so of insulated wire that
came with the unit around the rig AC power cord, both as a loop and strung out
lengthwise along the power cord. It has been pretty effective against the
hideously loud RF from the giant halogen dimmer lamp upstairs but no so
effective against the neighborhood power line noise that I believe is being
conducted into the house and reradiated via the house wiring. This loop would
be good at picking up common mode RFI from the AC power cord but not so good
at picking up differential mode RFI - maybe I should split the power cord and
loop the sense antenna around only one of the conductors?

-wiley kf6iiu