[RFI] RFI clip-on probe?

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 27 11:31:00 EST 2003

You can make a tolerable clip-on probe by putting a one-turn (preferably
shielded)
pickup winding through a snap-on ferrite bead. You could choose a bead to
not
adversely affect current in the lead it's on (less than 5 ohms) or don't
worry about
it if you only need relative readings or pickup for an already undesired
signal.

You can discriminate between common-mode and differential mode noise, too.
Running
both sampled conductors through the core in the same direction couples
common-mode
to the pickup loop, and cancels differential. Splitting the pair, and
running the
wires through the core in OPPOSITE directions, cancels common-mode, and
couples
differential mode noise. This is often useful troubleshooting, and though
not my
invention, as it is widely used by EMC engineers, may appear as part of my
contribution to one of Mark Montrose's books soon.

Cortland

of wire?