[RFI] Ignition Noise, HF Mobile, FORD

David Jordan wa3gin at erols.com
Mon Jun 16 09:45:42 EDT 2003

Cliff,

I'm a happy Ford truck owner as well.  They are noisey beast.  You'll
have to bond all the sheet metal to the frame rail, not just the hood.
 You'll also have to run a bonding strap from the negative of the batter
to the frame rail. Ford make one good connection from the batter to the
engine block but the chassic and the engine are both on rubber
grommetts. Use your frame rail as your ground buss. Run bonding straps
from the rail to all the fenders, etc. Measure the resistance across the
door hinges. If the resistance is over 2 ohms, install a shunt across
the hindge. Bond the tail pipe to the frame rail at three points, the
tail pipe, between the resonator and the muffle and between the muffle
and the cataletic converter.

Also, the brake sensors produce a lot of noise.  Make your test while
parked or you'll just add another noise component to the mix.

Your power leads from the radio should be going directly to the battery.
 So, as not to void my warrantee I installed a second battery inthe
truck bed and use it as dedicated power for the transceiver.  Your coax
from the antenna should be bonded to the frame rail as close to the base
of the antenna as possible. Installation of an antenna isolator would
help eliminate any common mode noise that might be pickedup by the coax.

Good Luck,
dave
wa3gin

p.s. check our our web page at www.thenighthawks.com...plenty of
information on mobiling, etc. The NightHawks are a pure mobile net that
runs in the evenings on 40m from 7pm till...