[RFI] RE: [TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing

Eric Rosenberg wd3q at starpower.net
Thu Apr 29 10:48:35 EDT 2004

At the request of the TT administrators, AA6YQ responded directly to my
email.  Except where noted, I will not quote all of his
comments.  Dave's email response to me is his to post where and how he
likes and I respect that. My comments are copied to the RFI reflector,
as I strongly believe that this discussion on BPL, what it means and
how one approaches it is a vital and vigorous one that should and must
continue... on the RFI list!

That we may (and often do) disagree is a good thing.  That we respect
each other's opinions and agree to disagree is even better.

That having been said,  I understand Dave's perspective. His career  as
a "hardware engineer, a software engineer, an entrepreneur, an
executive, and a ham" is quite distinguished and very, very
successful.  He has given freely to the amateur radio community as
author of the excellent -- and free -- DXLab  software suite.

In his original comments, Dave stated that  "If we're going to overcome
BPL, it will be with better technology in the marketplace, not by
plying lobbyists, politicians, and regulatory agencies with emotional
arguments that appeal to no one but us",  to which I replied that this
" is dead wrong.  The reality of this world is that policy is driven by
politics and economics."

I inadvertently kept the words "appeal to no one but us", which left
Dave to understandably assert that I was the naive one.  Having said
that, it should be noted that politics is defined as the process by
which one gets their way by plying lobbyists, politicians and
regulatory agencies with emotional arguments:  "my <stuff> works, and I
can prove it if you help me!"; "If I can get the <rules added, deleted,
changed, modified> and sell my wares, I'll set up the factory in your
district"; .. and the list of emotional arguments goes on.  Watch any
legislative appropriations committee from the federal government
through your town council. While the issue is not likely to be radio
spectrum, it will often relate to 'infrastructure', 'progress' and the
never defined 'leading edge' (is bulldozing un/under/less developed
land to build more roads and parking lots to accommodate a "super
store" that could likely kill off the older, established, but smaller,
specialized shops in town necessarily a good thing for the community at
large?).  The proliferation of  megastores and megamalls
[WalMarts/KMarts, etc.] has been slowed down, modified, and even
stopped due to emotional arguments by those who are directly impacted
by their potential presence, even when all of the environmental impact
and other unemotional reports may say otherwise.  I'm not saying that
this is good or bad, only that politics do play a role in the
determining the ultimate decision.

I said that " The other reality is that BPL in some form is here to
stay until/unless the market kills it."  Dave replied (and I quote)
"This was the primary point of my message, and yet you label me as
naïve for taking this position."

My comment was not to disagree -- I, too, believe (hope?) that BPL will
not survive in the market place.  My point was to suggest that in this
instance, the market will not and cannot exist if the regulatory
environment doesn't allow for it.  Which is where we are in the time
line.

Dave said (and I quote again) " Of course, I'm being a somewhat more
pro-active, in that I'm inciting the ham radio community to hasten
BPL's death by providing a demonstrably better alternative." and asks
if that is what I find naive.

While I am not in the least suggesting that the amateur radio community
stop being creative and entrepreneurial towards the development of new
technology, I do believe assuming any single approach is the one and
only path to take is extremely naive.  The amateur radio community has
a rich history of developing new, better, and less expensive
technologies, don't ever forget that in the end, policy makers are
pressured by time (elections and referendums) and money (unbalanced
budgets and ever-changing tax bases), demands from constituents
(residents, workforce and employers/industry).  In my experience
working in the regulatory world, the single most asked question by a
regulator when I applied for a license or asked for a policy decision
was "what happens to me if and when I grant you this license or issue a
decree."  Never forget that all politics are local... and once elected,
a politician's most important job is to stay in office.

Dave rightly commented that the issue at hand -- at the present moment
-- is deploying BPL in the United States, not deploying BPL around the
world.  What he might not understand is that the world, rightly or
wrongly, looks at United States and more often than not follows our
lead.  While it is true that we have made what some consider to have
been mistakes that have hurt us since (the Teledesic spectrum
allocation rammed through the WRC in the early 1990's is often
cited),  in all too many cases, other countries have followed our lead
in the radiocommunications regulatory world.  What happens in the USA
is very often -- and soon thereafter -- reflected elsewhere.  I have
been personally involved in licensing and policy situations where a
foreign country that had been opposed to my employer's entering and
operating in their country welcomed us once the US ruled in our favor.

The question has come up as to who are large users of HF in the
USA.  The Departments of Defense, Homeland Security and Transportation
immediately come to mind. While I believe it can be safely said that
their systems were in a state of decline until September 11, this
appears to no longer be the case.  They all are looking for new
technology, recognizing that HF is an asset that is already in place,
costs virtually nothing to operate (no airtime or other fees) and is a
technology they all are familiar with.  That these agencies don't speak
up is, from what I am told, cultural and political. Here's our chance
to change things!

Dave asked (quoting) "What, precisely, is "the reality of our
predicament"? And exactly what has  he ARRL achieved in its defense of
"our position"?"

The predicament? A technology (BPL) has been "approved" that threatens
incumbent users (government, maritime, aeronautical, amateur) of the
newly allocated shared spectrum.  BPL remains here, the regulations
governing it appear to be broad, the enforcement mechanism untested.

What has the ARRL achieved in defense of "our" position?  Using what
limited resources it has (the ARRL does not have the war chest that the
Nextels, Microsofts and other commercial entities have), the ARRL
brought the issue to the above named incumbents, who likely would not
have paid much attention to it (not sexy enough for them), brought the
subject to the international level, slowed down approval in the USA
(this issue has been going on for some time now) and elsewhere.  If not
for their efforts, the impact could have been far, far worse.

As this debate continues, I'll be curious to see the extent of the BPL
and power industry's lobbying efforts, how much money they spend, and
where their money comes from.  As I think we all agree, there is the
potential of a lot of money to be made by the power companies, whose
ultimate goal is to take a piece of the broadband delivery pie.  To
that end, I wonder where the satellite (EchoStar, DirecTV, etc.) and
wireline broadband delivery companies (the ROCKS) sit on this issue.

In conclusion, I respect but disagree with Dave's comments quoted
above.  This is not a personal fight.  To each their own, and may we
agree to disagree.  Likewise, this is not a competition to see whose
approach is the better one.   Our goal, I believe, is to limit the
damage the deployment of BPL systems can cause to incumbent, viable,
and working (HF) communications systems in the US and ultimately
worldwide.

With that, let's respect the request of the TowerTalk administrators
and move this to the RFI reflector.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC