[RFI] Protecting our frequencies

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 30 11:56:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:00:12 -0000, Jim Jarvis wrote:

>When they're working , amateur satellites project the largest utilization
>footprint on the planet of any other aspect of amateur radio.
>
>You might consider that populating C band (5 GHz) and X band (10GHz) with
>birds and earth stations will go further toward protecting our frequencies
>than all the clever phrases.
>
>Let me suggest that supporting AMSAT is a good way to stabilize and assure
>the future.

I would gladly trade all of our UHF/SHF bands for a broadcast-free 40
meters.

The future of ham radio is HF.  Amateur satellites are a huge waste of
our precious resources.  There is nothing satellites do that can not be
done better, faster and cheaper by other modes, including the internet.

There have been times in ham history where hams have been on the leading
edge of technology, but not now with satellites.  The commercial
services are so far ahead of ham efforts there is practically no
comparison.

I am well aware of the desire to tinker with things and of course,
satellites are a tinkerer's dream come true.  But for the great majority
of us, they are all but useless.  Yes, I have made several dozen
contacts using the Russian satellites back in the '90s, and it was kind
of fun, but nothing that could not have been done on HF with a lot less
trouble.

Those frequencies you mentioned have enormous potential for internet
wireless and related functions and I am appalled that a few tinkering
hams would stand in the way of their usefulness to the majority of
citizens.  We can play all we want in the HF and low VHF bands.  When
crunch time comes, the FCC will see this and our use of those
frequencies will be history.

Flame suit on; fire away.  I've heard it all before.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW