[RFI] turnabout is fair play??

Zach White zwhite-rfi at darkstar.frop.org
Fri Aug 13 13:02:05 EDT 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 3:05 PM, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:

> Article in August 2004 "Computer" magazine article from the IEEE
> Computer Society talks about the possibility of using Ethernet cables
> power remote devices.  Would this be PBL?  Power over Broadband
> Lines???

David,

This is Power Over Ethernet (PoE) and the IEEE has already formalized
the specification as IEEE 802.3af. There are many community wireless
and hot spot providers who use this to place their APs near outdoor
antennas so as to minimize loss. You can also find lots of 802.11[abc]
devices that have PoE support built in, and custom adaptors for
retrofitting devices that do not have this support.

The IEEE specification can be found at
http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/index.html .

Although I did find your ironic comment about power over broadband
lines pretty funny, I thought others might find the official specs
interesting.

-Zach