[RFI] ready-made filters?

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Wed Dec 1 20:52:11 EST 2004

Folks,

We seem to spend a lot of energy talking about winding
cables around ferrite cores for ad hoc interference
suppression.  I wonder if there are ready-made
solutions that aren't too pricey.

I'm thinking of little boxes to insert in series with
power cords, Ethernet, USB, and what have you to
eliminate the common mode RF.  These could be made
neater and more compact than the ugly things I make
with 1, 1.5, or 2.5" cores, which often need to be
oversize because of the plugs on the ends of the
cables.  (Also, Cat5 cable doesn't like to be bent
sharply.)

We have ununs for coax, but I haven't seen anything
similar for general power & computer cabling.  Maybe
there's some business potential there for the ham
entrepreneur.

More of a stretch: I'd like to see an RF (and audio)
quiet computer case, with filters on all connections,
etc.

None of this is rocket science, and yes we could all
do it ourselves if we were "real hams", but some of us
would rather buy stuff off the shelf.

Let me know if I've missed anything on the market.

73, Martin, AA6E