[RFI] Washing machine RFI question

Leigh L Klotz, Jr. Leigh at WA5ZNU.org
Wed Dec 29 14:09:39 EST 2004

I have a Whirlpool Duet front-loading washing machine.  When operating,
it produces tremendous noise on HF.  The motor rotates at various speeds
and switches directions quickly, so I assume the noise is from the
controller doing PWM at high power.

I contacted Whirlpool and they told me to call a service center, but I
don't have much faith in that process.

I have tried the obvious things such as an AC line filter and a big
toroid core with the power line through it, though I could only get 2
loops through.

I have the opportunity to experiment with shielding the laundry room as
it will be moved during construction, and if putting bonded metal plates
in the wall will help, I would like to try it...

Has anybody managed to quiet such a device?

73,
Leigh WA5ZNU