[RFI] Experience with RF-INQUIRY Hi-Q Chokes?

Christian Buenger c.buenger at gmx.ch
Mon Feb 2 01:49:55 EST 2004

Hi rfi-experts,

just came across an advertisement of a common-mode choke produced by
RF-inquiry of Japan. They claim to provide at least 50 dB of reduction of
common-mode-currents. There exists two versions. 250 W and 5 KW.

Has anybody experience with these things? I have some minor RFI problems
here at home and they might be related to common mode. I already have a
coil of coax below my beam (which is on top of the house). Can anybody
confirm these 50 db? Sounds a lot to me.

I somehow have the feeling that inside that "Hi-Q Choke" there is only a
piece of coax with some ferrite beads. Just a typical W2DU baluns on teflon
coax which you get for 20 EUR here in DL. The RF-Inquiry ones cost about
120-180 EUR (depending on power).

Unfortunately there is not much information about these products on the
web. Can somebody here in the mailing list shed some light on this topic?

Another question. Can I use a W2DU 1:1 balun in my transmission line just
right after the amp and expect some filtering of common mode currents on
the coax cable? Would this help to "clean" up the coax? Or do I have to use
2 baluns. One at the input and one at the output?

Thanks in advance!

73
Christian, DL6KAC
mailto:c.buenger at gmx.ch