[RFI] Experience with RF-INQUIRY Hi-Q Chokes?

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 14:00:02 EST 2004

Tom Rauch wrote, in response to:
>> just came across an advertisement of a common-mode choke produced by
>> RF-inquiry of Japan. They claim to provide at least 50 dB of reduction of
>> common-mode-currents.

I agree with Tom's earlier post, that the 50dB target is hard to hit
without accepting a reduced bandwidth.

Also, "at least 50dB" has to be at the top and bottom edges of the
claimed bandwidth, so the mid-band performance would have to be better
still.

Hmmm... we seem to be deep into the territory where "the more you claim
to have achieved, the more you need to prove it."

Tom added:
>By the way, if the common mode source and load impedances are a fraction of
>an ohm it is easy to obtain -50dB. If the common mode source and load
>impedances (which have nothing much to do with line impedance) are 1000
>ohms, we would be lucky to see 10dB.
>
>It depends on how they measured.

The standard method is to measure between a 50-ohm source and load - the
input being to the coax shield at one end, and the output from the
shield at the opposite end.

The 50-ohm source and load may not represent any particular real-life
application, but they do allow fair comparisons between competing
products.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'