[RFI] RE: "The Maytag RFI in Maryland makes power co RFI look good"

Chris Tobias kd3oa at ptd.net
Tue Feb 24 01:56:09 EST 2004

Hello,

Most older washers and dryers use a motorized timer to sequence events.  At
the end of the cycle, this motor must drive a set of contacts that
disconnects the timer motor.  The designing engineers hope that there is
enough inertia in the gear train to separate the contacts before the
mechanism stops.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case.  The result
is a small spark-gap transmitter spreading RFI.  Newer, CPU-based
appliances should not have this particular problem, but might have others...

73, Chris Tobias
kd3oa at ptd.net
former GE appliance repairman